Saturday 31 March 2012

Personal Reflection

This week in the print room was both successful and unsuccessful. I managed to get a lot of work done, however I was working on a much larger scale than I have previously sampled at.
Producing a Kodatrace & PVA drawing 2m x 1m long, and a silicone panel 2.5m x 0.8m long has provided me with more questions than I anticipated.
The huge scale of these works has a great impact, which is definitely something that I aspire to achieve for my degree show, however working on layers and layers at such a scale is very time consuming.
Only using translucent moudling silicone once before, I took a very big risk (financially as well as time-wise) attempting a sample at such a scale. I used disperse dyes for the addition of colour however this seemed to turn out much worse than expected. Perhaps I should focus on only using the silicone to produce monocolour/clear-on-clear pieces for the show (due to the inability to begin sampling firther within the current timescale) - and include a potential series of visulisations for where these could be taken further if I had time to add colour. Maybe the addition of colour is something I could focus on after the degree show, if I wish to continue working in this media.
The addition of colour could be brought into the degree show through the kodatrace, acetate and PVA samples which I have already proved to be successful.

After feeling slightly depressed about the 'disaster' of the silicone panel, I returned to the print room the following day with fresh eyes and removed it from it's backing perspex. I rolled the piece up for storage to discover that the colours seem to be much more successful when layered over each other extensively. This sample is not a complete disaster as I feel it may be rescued if I either a)cut it into sections to layer over each other b)produce a second panel to layer behind it - under the current time resistriction I plan to try out the first resolution. The main problem with this is that it will reduce the size of the piece massively - I do love the huge scale of the work however I can make other pieces this size instead to display for my work (either with PVA or clear silicone).

No comments:

Post a Comment