Monday 12 March 2012

Personal Reflection

Recently I feel that I have slowed down the pace of my work. I seem to be asking myself too many questions and hypothesising potential problems which appear to be stalling my working process.  My work is primarily process driven, and usually there are very little clues as to how a final piece will unfold. However, with the looming presence of the degree show approaching I have began to constantly question how my final pieces will look, how they will be presented, what their impact will be and how this will be percieved.
I have been advised to take a step back and focus on the making of the work itself, rather than the final presentation of the work, which I feel will be very beneficial for me. Initially I intended to create a series of panels to be presented together which, when the audience view from a certain perspective, create a larger picture or form. Although this is an interesting concept which has been explored before, and would yeild an impressive display, I believe that the construction of such a work would require a lot of forward planning and precision to construct - something that is distinctly missing in my own working methodology. As explored within my monograph, I feel that I work most constructively in an uncontrolled and unrestricted manner. I believe that the added pressure of creating such intricatley planned work has caused me to digress into an unproductive working state.

To combat this, I feel that I need to forget about any pre-conceptions I had of how my work would look, act and react, and begin producing something closer to a developed/final sample than my current work. This does not in any way need to represent what I wish to create at the degree show, but will be a forward step in the making process of the current project.

No comments:

Post a Comment