Friday 23 March 2012

Moulding Silicone

After reflecting over my previous samples, I decided that the blue moulding silicone from this post may be interesting to revisit due to its self levelling properties. Silicone sealant has the flexibility and translucency that I desire, however its viscosity and inability to smooth out impairs my work.
Therefore, I located a translucent moulding silicone on ebay as opposed to the blue that I have previously worked with.

To mix the silicone; 10:1 ratio silicone to catalyst.


Using thick card to set a mould/frame on a perspex sheet

Pouring the mixture onto the surface


I used a squeegee to drag to the edges - 
the silicone then self levelled to a smooth surface

Insetting yarns

Extractor fan for good ventilation

Disperse dye to add colour
This left an interesting effect

Very flexible once removed from perspex


Potential for unconventional/catwalk fashion


Results: This material is everything that I have been looking for. Highly flexible and almost gelatinous in texture - everyone who has touched this sample has mentioned in some way that it makes them feel uneasy/uncomfortable (this is something that I have been wishing to achieve). The surface is completely smooth and self-levelled, and very glossy. The only unpredicted aspect of using this silicone is the many small bubbles that have appeared around the yarns and the disperse dye. However I do not think that this impairs the work as it adds an extra dimension of depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment