Monday 20 February 2012

Silicone Sealant

As silicone kits are expensive I decided to use a cheaper alternative until I decide if I would like to commit to buying. Silicone bathroom sealant is available in a clear finish, and is much easier and cheaper to access.

Straight from the tube - piped into circle shapes

Spread onto a plastic surface, threads added.
Peeled off the surface once dry. 

Reverse side - The side which had contact with the plastic
is incredibly smooth and shiny.

Right side - The markings of the spatula can clearly be seen,
creating a rough texture.


The thicker the solution is applied, the more clouded and opaque it dries.

Results: I find the appearance of this silicone sealant to be exactly what I am looking for: transparent with a very slight cloud. The side that dried onto the plastic base is ideal - however I would like a way to overcome the texture that was created when the spatula spread the sealant out. The consistency of the silicone is very thick and does not flow on it's own, so some method of spreading it is needed.  I am not yet sure how I will overcome this. Ideally I would like the silicone sealant applied in a consistent thickness with no texture, so that it is completely smooth and the threads inside it are more visible.

No comments:

Post a Comment