Tuesday 21 February 2012

Personal Reflection

This week I have focussed a lot more on the ‘suspension’ element that initially
drew me to this project.Ii would like to somehow trap yarns or threads between
layers of some media, much like how my early drawings were seen to be trapped
between layers of tracing paper, building up a complex web of lines. I have
experimented with heat pressing plastics together such as carrier bags and plastic
aprons, however I do not enjoy the tactile or aesthetic quality of these samples
as they appear to be messy and amateur. using water-clear resin did have much nicer
aesthetic effects as the threads really did seem to be ‘suspended’ mysteriously
within the plastic block. However the hard texture of the resin does not imply the
movement that I want to somehow portray. I prefer the gelatinous effect of the jellies
i initially used. thinking about this brought me to the conclusion of using silicones
or latexes so for a cheap alternative I did some quick tests with silicone bathroom
sealant. once dry, this is flexible, malleable, semi-transparent, and almost exactly
what I was hoping for. the only problem being that is it not self-levelling so there
are a lot of textured marks in its surface from where I spread it to apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment