Tuesday 31 January 2012

Personal Reflection

So far I have not been able to gain any access to the ceramics department of the university, although I have been in contact with the suitable people to arrange when this could be arranged. However, a question was raised during my first tutorial, in regards to my reference of the work of Kristen Wicklund and my plans to use ceramics in combination with textiles.
Nicola asked if portraying lace through the means of ceramics is an obvious choice, and has it been overdone? I initially chose to use lace as it is an obvious ‘soft’ choice in opposition to the harshness of ceramics,but I do think that this query is very valid. I do not want to fall into the trap of doing the obvious, nor do I wish to produce work that is already very prevailant in an over-saturated market. therefore I have began to question if ceramics is at all relevant for how I would like to take this project. Looking at my recent sketchbook using tracing paper and bold linear marks, the qualities that excite me the most about these pieces is the way in which the tracing paper, semi-transparent, seems to ‘trap’ the lines between the pages, building up random layers of texture and composition between each sheet. This play on transparency and opacity, and the notion of ‘suspending’ or ‘trapping’ lines is something that has began to interest me quite a lot, and is something that I would liek to develop further.

No comments:

Post a Comment