Tuesday 28 February 2012

Exploring Silicone Sealant

Silicone Sealant produces the perfect aethetic quality I am trying to achieve, however it is difficult to apply smoothly due to its very thick texture. I decided to try to thin the sealant down to see if I could make the substance more 'pourable' and self leveling (as the PVA glue was). I had some acetone in the form of a nail polish thinner which I added to the silicone in the hopes of diluting the consistency somewhat.




Results: I wanted the Silicone to fill the tray in the same way that the PVA glue sheet did. I found that the acetone did thin the sealant somewhat, however there was still a visible texture on the surface after I had spread it out. Once dry, the layer of silicone was too thin to be removed from the tray in one piece and it shredded when I took it out.

1 comment: